Business Acumen: hands on with new thinking

David chose to dive into the deep end of business from the very start, building up his acumen and experience to the point where he could readily leap into a degree and a junior corporate role.

29 Jun 2017

future property magnate, David Troung
David is primed to take on a the property world.

Diploma of Business (BSB50215) graduate, David Truong has his sights set on an exciting career as property developer. Since graduating from TAFE Queensland, he has gone on to study a Bachelor of Property Economics at QUT.

David says his time at TAFE was crucial in helping him to get his foot in the door, and provided him with the flexibility and basic business acumen to start working in the industry sooner.

“After studying my Diploma, I could confidently start working for a Quality Assurance company right away.”

David had always intended to study at university, but he chose to include TAFE in his post-high school study plan, as he wanted to have a hands-on advantage and the option to start working in his career while finishing his degree. Employment is already on the cards, with David currently negotiating a paid internship with Coldwell Bankers.

David says that studying his Diploma of Business at TAFE was the best move, as it gave him confidence in preparation for uni studies, and more time to decide which particular stream of business was right for him.

“I am well prepared to move into my next phase of study, and keen to kick-start my career.”

Something David wasn’t expecting when he enrolled with TAFE Queensland was taking part in the Work Integrated Learning (WIL) Program. When the opportunity to work on a real project for a Brisbane-based company, while achieving course credit became available, he jumped at the chance to apply.

The WIL Program was piloted in 2016 for five Diploma of Business students, each placed with a company. Participating students and businesses underwent a rigorous selection process.

interns
Internships are a great way to build up your business acumen.

Internships are a great way to build up your business acumen.When David was selected to take part in the pilot, he was placed with Independent Inspections where he was responsible for a major project to drive the company’s website visitations, improving their Google ranking and Search Engine Optimisation (SEO).

“I was tasked with the project of increasing traffic to the corporate website and improving their SEO ranking. It was such an amazing experience to be given this chance.”

“My project with Independent Inspections was on a solo basis, but I was well supported by the employees there who were friendly and offered help if I needed it. I was able to deliver well on my project by achieving a #1 Google ranking, which definitely pleased my internship employer.”

David found his overall TAFE Queensland experience exactly what he had hoped for; a flexible combination of core business acumen and real skills he could use right away and a solid foundation for his further study and future career.

“My time at TAFE has been invaluable; I have made real industry connections and feel work-ready from the practical course components. If I had to put a sinking fund forecast together tomorrow, I could do it with confidence.”

Did You Know

According to Australian Federal Government data, building your business acumen alongside your adaptability is a smart move. 126,600 persons were employed as Contract,

business analytics
The range of transferable and hands-on skills needed to succeed have evolved.

Program and Project Administrators in 2015, and job openings for such roles over the next 5 years are expected to be greater than 50,000.

Modern Business Acumen

While versatility has always been a part of business acumen, it has taken on a whole new meaning in our project-oriented glocalised working environment. You need to have a basic grasp of all elements of modern business in order to succeed in any role. This doesn’t equate to no more specialists though – it just means specialists also need to be generalists when and where required.

For you, this could mean doing as David did and diving deep as soon as possible with hands-on training and internship opportunities. Or it could mean diversifying yourself with digital, creative, leadership or finance skills. Either way, there’s never been a better time to refresh and redefine your corporate credentials.

Don’t hesitate. Why wait to make great in the new world of business?

© TAFE Queensland Brisbane 2017.
RTO 0275 | CRICOS 03020E.