Congratulations to our latest TAFE Queensland Scholarships recipients

The TAFE Queensland Scholarships program is dedicated to promoting and assisting TAFE students who strive for success in their chosen fields of study. Find out more about the program and join us in congratulating our recent winners.

7 Sep 2016

Firmly committed to broadening accessibility to education, TAFE Queensland is proud to award scholarships to the latest round of winning entrants. With the most recent recipients receiving their TAFE Queensland Scholarships in July 2016, the program is well on its way to opening doors to the education world.

TAFE Queensland has awarded a total of 14 scholarships in the latest round of the program. Two were awarded to students in the TAFE Queensland Brisbane region, Candice Green and Georgia Ellem.

scholarships - information tree

Access and Equity Scholarship winner – Candice Green

Candice received an access and equity scholarship to pursue her studies in the Certificate IV in Adult Tertiary Preparation (10397NAT). Access and equity scholarships are awarded to students who can demonstrate a genuine interest in and commitment to their chosen career. Diagnosed with permanent hearing loss at the age of five years, Candice struggled in the traditional schooling environment. While this did not stop Candice from being employed, further deterioration in her hearing eventually led to her leaving the work force.

Following a period of time being unemployed and dependant on Centrelink for assistance, Candice wanted to reassess her situation. Taking a positive step forward, she attended an information evening about studying tertiary preparation for adults wishing to get the skills needed to tackle a uni degree.

At the age of 33, Candice is now studying to achieve her Certificate IV in ATP with a goal to work towards studying archaeology and anthropology at uni. She has approached her studies at TAFE with fervour, and says the TAFE teachers, other students created a welcoming learning environment. Candice is well on her way to reaching her academic dreams and closer to becoming more financially independent.

scholarships - hot air balloons

“I was already so grateful for everything that TAFE Queensland Brisbane has done for me this year, that to then be awarded this scholarship blew my mind. The support my teacher, Louise Duffy, has given me and the efforts that the disability services officers, tutors and other staff have gone through to help me achieve my goals has been phenomenal.”

“I will be using my scholarship to buy a device that will make hearing in the classroom easier. I will also be buying a new computer and some text books to help with my studies. TAFE Queensland has shown me that they really want me to succeed and are backing me the whole way. I am so thankful for the generosity and for the recognition of my hard work.”

“The staff and the TAFE Queensland learning structure really encourage fantastic camaraderie among students. On TAFE campuses you’re surrounded by people who want to learn and will encourage you to achieve your best. Thank you so much to TAFE Queensland for giving me this major boost in helping me to achieve my educational goals!”

Merit Scholarship winner – Georgia Ellem

Georgia Ellem is the recipient of a merit scholarship to further her studies with a Certificate III in Hairdressing (SIH30111). Merit scholarships are designed to promote students who can demonstrate they will do well in their chosen industry. Career-focused from the outset, Georgia has worked hard in a salon since the age of 14 while also completing high school. She is now working towards her hairdressing apprenticeship with Benni Tognini of Tognini’s.

Georgia dream of becoming a top stylist and travelling around the world and plans on using her scholarship towards her tuition as well as purchasing cutting edge equipment.

“I was overjoyed to hear I was a recipient as it felt like a great reward for my work and because I knew it would allow me to afford good quality equipment and ongoing education to equip me for the rest of my career.”

“I was excited to learn that I could purchase my equipment sooner than expected with the assistance of the scholarship, which would have been more difficult with financial pressures such as living out of home in Brisbane.”scholarships - transfer of information

“I would definitely encourage all other eligible students dedicated to their apprenticeships to apply, as it is an amazing boost providing incentives and support to power on and complete your apprenticeship. Being able to afford to attend the best training and education possible is a great gift.”

TAFE Queensland Brisbane wishes to congratulate all recipients of the TAFE Queensland Scholarships, as well as the very best for their studies.

TAFE Queensland Scholarships – how to apply

Scholarships are available for applicants to use across a broad range of study areas towards achieving Certificate, Diploma and Advanced Diploma-level qualifications.

The next round of applications is open from 1 September 2016. For more information about what is on offer and how to apply, please visit the TAFE Queensland Scholarships web page for the details.

© TAFE Queensland Brisbane 2018.
RTO 0275 | CRICOS 03020E.