Digital Design: Creating Your Own Opportunties

Iman is living proof that the social media boom of the 21st century is still a gold mine of creative and professional opportunity/

29 Jun 2017

Did you know that there are over 1.65 billion active mobile social accounts globally, with 1 million new active mobile social users added every day?

Iman Yousef, a current Diploma of Screen and Media (CUA51015) student, has chosen to jump into the digital media deep end well before completing her course. As an admitted design addict, she is consuming new skills, ideas and opportunities at lightning speed.

“I want any design job I can get. I love working with computers and making designs that are unique as well as special,” said Iman.

While it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, Snapchat has redefined fun and design.

Social media has changed the way we live and work in more ways than most of us can count. In fact, it has altered the world as a whole from top to bottom. Yet, as with all the other forces of change impacting us today, there is a wealth of opportunity to be mined by anyone ambitious and flexible enough to do so.

The prime example of this is the creation of a sibling owned design consultancy business, focused on posters, branding and the growing field of Snapchat filters. Filter It is Iman and her sister’s way of creating their own opportunity and racking up real experience before joining large employers.

Iman explains it as, “Along with our basic design work, we create customised Snapchat filters for businesses and personal events so it has their logo, name, or slogan that people in that area can use with their snaps. This results in spreading awareness about the brand and helps consumers engage with the marketing campaign.”

In every way possible, Iman is embracing a job, and a course, that allow her to be a mother, student, and business owner in her own time, and on her own terms.

“As a mother of three, the element of flexibility is most important to me, to be able to manage both my study and my family. When I enrolled in this Diploma I still had a bit of fear around how I’ll be able to balance the two worlds. But TAFE gave me the flexibility to be a mother, student and manage a business as well.

“My kids love to watch their mummy play and create on the computer,” Iman said.

And as a business owner, she already has her sights set on the world at large, with a significant number of her clients hailing from the UK, Asia and Saudi Arabia. Yet this is not enough for this driven design enthusiast, with Iman adding, “I spend an hour every day searching for new clients in Australia and overseas. I even go out of my way to educate them on how Snapchat and Instagram can help their business.”

With a growing user base of 158 and 600 million between Snapchat and Instagram respectively, it is clear to see why Iman is determined to evolve and work in this space. In addition, there are so many social platforms, audience groups, and tools coming into play every day.

Lead designer and cofounder of Filter It, Iman Yousef
Iman is excited to take on any challenge the digital space throws at her.

Iman said, “I cannot get enough of being creative on the computer, I want to learn and experience as much as I can. It’s why I am using my Diploma to move on to a Bachelor Degree next year.”

There is no telling where Iman can take Filter It. With help from the Bachelor of Graphic Design from the University of Canberra and business mentors, she is planning to take on the entire digital world.

Whether it is on Snapchat, Instagram or at the front of the class, we’re sure Iman is going to wow us all.

Did You Know

According to the employment experts over at SEEK, Queensland is one of the top places to work in web design in Australia, with a superb minimum average salary of $79,044 P/A to boot. Throw in the constant shift over to all things digital, this is definitely a great space to be playing in professionally and creatively. The numbers back this up as well, with the Australian Federal Government saying that 10,300 persons were employed as Multimedia Specialists and Web Developers in 2015 alone.

Digital Design Specialisation

For those eager to truly make your own mark, the special design services space is looking to grow a further 2.4% over the next five years based solely on current innovations. This means there is plenty of room for you to follow in Iman’s footsteps by creating your own design business. You can see what’s possible via Filter It’s own Instagram feed.

Why wait to make great happen in the digital design space?

© TAFE Queensland Brisbane 2017.
RTO 0275 | CRICOS 03020E.