Career Change Win: From DJ to Doctor

How TAFE Queensland Brisbane helped DJ Jen-E make a career change from DJ to doctor.

26 May 2015

Performing as DJ Jen-E throughout the 90s and early 00s, Dr. Jenny Juckel is well-known as a pioneer for women in the Brisbane electronic music scene.

But after years in nightclubs, it was a chance meeting with a fellow Adult Tertiary Preparation (ATP) student at TAFE Queensland Brisbane that spurred a switch from the decks to a desk. Proving that it is never too late to make a career change, Dr Juckel enrolled in university to study psychology once she completed her TAFE studies.

“I never imagined I’d get into university because I hadn’t even finished school,” she said.
“But I felt I was ready for a change so the idea really excited me.”

Doctor Jenny Juckel career change
Doctor Jenny Juckel

It was while writing an essay on mental illness at TAFE that she decided to pursue a career in psychology.

“As a teenager I had a massive psychology book, it’s an area that has always interested me because it’s a career with so many applications,” Dr Juckel said.

“So I just put my head down and studied as hard as I could.”

Channelling the same determination that saw her break into the male-dominated music scene,  Dr Juckel powered through a decade of study that started at TAFE, and ended with a Bachelor of Psychological Sciences and a PhD in Media Psychology.

“I’ve always been interested in comedy, so when I saw a scholarship to be part of a PhD program looking at people’s psychological responses to sitcoms, I went for it,” she said.

While chipping away at her PhD, the enthusiastic student also became a certified yoga teacher.

“I’ve enjoyed having a little bit of time off this year after studying for so long but now I think I’m ready to get back into it,” she said.

“I’m not sure what my next step will be, but I’d really like to apply similar techniques I used while completing my PhD to monitoring the effects of exercise, yoga and meditation on the mind.”

Are you looking to make a change in your career? Check out our mid-year offerings here.

Want to know how we can help you take the first step towards an exciting career change? Come along to one of our Adult Tertiary Preparation info nights at South Bank, Loganlea and Caboolture.

Originally published in Issue 4 of MAKE magazine.

Top image supplied by Soulbridge Media.

© TAFE Queensland Brisbane 2018.
RTO 0275 | CRICOS 03020E.