Grand Designs

She may be new to the game, but Alexandra Raineri’s striking art pieces are years in the making.

11 Feb 2016

Alexandra Grand DesignsHer distinctive state PICA award-winning art piece, Mother Earth, combines the up-and-coming visual artist’s love of both photography and mixed media.

“Photography really was something I just stumbled across, but I feel like it’s definitely where I want to be,” she said.

“I love the controlled environment of working in a studio. I started playing around with mixed media and my work really evolved from there.”

“I love to mix and match. I take what I learned about mixed media in animation and apply it to what I’m learning in photography.”

AIPP Award Papaver_Art jpeg grand designs

Alexandra, who also holds a Diploma of Animation from TAFE Queensland Brisbane, was recognised with two silver medals from the Australian Institute of Professional Photography (AIPP) and wrapped up her year by sending her print Mother Earth to the PICA national awards.

“I love to mix and match. I take what I learned about mixed media in animation and apply it to what I’m learning in photography,” she said.

Mother Earth is a piece that really evolved. I started with a photograph of the model and then started playing with different art materials like crayons and watercolour.”

Though the piece is currently a one-off, Alexandra said she’s hoping that it will soon be part of a bigger series based on the elements using different colour pallets – something she will be able to pick up next year when she starts an Advanced Diploma of Photo Imaging at TAFE Brisbane’s South Bank campus.

AIPP Award Iris_Art jpeg grand designs

“I’m really hoping to also be able to go on the TAFE Study Tour to New York next year,” she said.

“I really want to see what’s happening around the world. It’s great seeing it all on the internet, but there’s something about seeing art on walls or in a pop-up gallery that is totally different.”

Learn more about TAFE Brisbane’s photography and visual arts courses on our website.

© TAFE Queensland Brisbane 2018.
RTO 0275 | CRICOS 03020E.