Study childcare online and jump into your new career

Studying childcare online is a great way to jump into your new career and you can earn while you learn.

13 Dec 2016

If you’re keen to get rolling in your new career in childcare, but lack qualifications, don’t despair… the great news is you can do both at the same time!

We are probably all united in a sense of being time-poor. Students, employees, employers, parents, non-parents, you name it. So what happens when you want to upskill and change careers but don’t have the time (or the money) to drop everything and study?

Earn while you learn

Happy student taking books in library and looking at camera.On-the-job training is one of the favourite catchphrases in education today. And early childhood education is one industry that lends itself beautifully to this learning style. Studying the theory behind early childhood training while getting hands-on experience in the workplace means you kill two birds with one stone; getting right into your chosen industry and solving the all-important money question at the same time.

From office to nursery

TAFE Queensland Brisbane graduate Bernadette Crank commenced her Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care – Online (CHC30113) in August 2015 and was working in paid employment by February 2016 in a childcare centre well before completing her qualification in June 2016.

After 35 years as an administrator, Bernadette wanted a change of scenery and chose to study online because of the flexibility it provided around her job at the time. She credits her tutors and their support in making her online study experience a breeze.

early childhood training“Studying online meant I could keep earning while studying which was fantastic, but the tutors were inspiring. During my study period, I undertook some vocational placement in a childcare centre which provided me with real-life examples, thereby boosting my learning experience. I initially started at the centre as part of my early childhood training but I ended up receiving an offer of work into the bargain before I even completed my qualification.”

Bernadette is now thoroughly enjoying her new role in a nursery room and work life balance.

Similar to Bernadette’s experience, people wanting to work in the childcare industry can secure jobs if they are enrolled to study their qualification at the same time, facilitating the transition into the industry for those who can’t spare the time to study full-time in the traditional classroom setting.

Supply and demand

No one disputes the fact that Australia’s population is on the rise again and with costs of living increasing, dual income families have become the norm, meaning childcare workers are constantly in demand.

Savills notes the Department of Social Services Early Childhood and Child Care in Summary report as stating a rise of 8.1% children attending approved childcare from 2013 to 2014, supporting the need for additional workers receiving early childhood training.

Check out our Early Childhood Education and Care courses available to study online and make the move into your new early childhood career today!

© TAFE Queensland Brisbane 2018.
RTO 0275 | CRICOS 03020E.